Because youre reading this, Ill take into account that youre tossing around the idea of buying a new TV. Youre the smart consumer that probably wants to make the best purchase. After all, this TV will be part of your home for the next 15-20 years.
The Facts of Digital Television (DTV)
- Fact: The transition date only affects over-the-air broadcast stations, like ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, UPN, etc. The reason is that these stations can be received for free by anyone with a television and an antenna.
- Fact: Channels exclusive to cable or satellite arent affected by the transition to digital. The reason is that a person cant receive them with an antenna. The person must subscribe to a pay service to receive them.
- Fact: Analog televisions will be obsolete (useless) after this date unless they are connected to a digital converter box.
How Will DTV Affect You?
If you subscribe to cable or satellite and have no plans on using an antenna then the transition to digital will probably not affect you unless you subscribe to you providers analog service. I suggest contacting your provider for definitive answers on whether or not youll be affected.
You will be affected if you plan on using an antenna past June 12, 2009, but dont own a digital TV capable of decoding digital signals (no built-in digital tuner). You will either have to buy a new digital TV or a digital-to-analog receiver.
Common Reasons for Buying a Digital TV
- Your television is analog and you want to upgrade to digital before the transition.
- The picture is going out or it doesnt have the necessary amount of terminals to sustain your audio/video components.
- You are moving or want to add a television to a room that doesnt have one.
- You have a child that gets good grades in school and you want to reward their efforts.
- You have the money and feel like treating yourself to something nice.
- You are bored with your current TV.
Regardless of your reason, you plan on buying a new TV in the near future. Making the decision to buy is easy; pulling the trigger on the sale might not be.