RCA's TruFlat TV, model 27F634T, is a standard definition direct view digital television with a 27" 4:3 screen. At the time of this profile, the 27F634T was priced at $359 through the manufacturer's Web site
- Built-in ATSC/NTSC Tuner - this enables the 27F634T to display analog and digital over-the-air (OTA) signals.
- Connections - The rear has one composite, component, analog RF and digital RF jack. It also has side S-Video and composite inputs.
- Aspect Ratio - User can switch between 4:3 and 16:9
- Flat Screen - RCA calls this TruFlat. The screen is not rounded like many tube televisions. According to RCA this reduces glare by 60% and provides a wider viewing angle than traditional CRTs.
The 27F634T is a good option for someone wanting to upgrade to a digital television without spending a lot of money. The price at the time of this profile was $359 through RCA, which is considerably less than any other 27" digital television with a built-in digital tuner. There are several reasons the price is so low. They are:
- Not capable of displaying HDTV - 480i max resolution
- Not many manufacturers make SDTV's
- Tube televisions are generally less than other TV types
The 27F634T weighs like a traditional tube television...meaning at 27" it will likely take more than one person to move it. It is also larger in size than other TV types (approximately 31w x 23h x 31d).
The drawbacks include:
- Not able to display high definition (HD) images
- Bulky compared to other TV types
- Limited with AV jacks
I expect the 27F634T to perform much like any other tube television. It should be sturdy, provide a good overall picture and last a long time.
The bottom line is that the 27F634T is a good introduction to the world of digital TV or as an inexpensive replacement for an old analog model.