The Bottom Line
- Receives VHF and UHF digital signals (digital FM radio, too)
- Not amplified so it won't drain power when not in use
- Mounts on wall or uses stand for table
- Multi-directional reception
- 12-month limited warranty
- Not amplified resulting in poor signal strength when in interior rooms
- Built-in 6' cable makes it necessary to use a connector when needing more than 6' of cable
- Is an antenna designed for the digital world that receives all UHF, VHF and FM radio digital signals.
- Has a built-in 6' coaxial cable, so you'd need to connect another coaxial cable to it when needing more than 6' of coaxial.
- Hangs on a wall, stand or lies on a table.
Guide Review - RCA multi-directional indoor antenna designed for DTV reception, model ANT1500
The ANT1500 is a relatively inexpensive indoor antenna designed for the digital world. It receives all UHF and VHF digital signals (and digital FM radio). It hangs, stands or lies flat. The ANT1500 has a built-in 6' coaxial cable, which requires an additional connector when needing more than 6-feet of coaxial cable.
Overall, I liked the design of the ANT1500. It didn't look like a typical antenna. I'm torn because one part of me wishes it was amplified but the other part is glad to not have to plug another device into the wall because less power equals a cleaner environment.
Ultimately, I wanted amplification because it didn't receive VHF signals as good when in the interior part of my home compared to when I used it near a window. Still, it's unclear if amplification on this model would help or hurt digital reception when used with a DTV converter box. read more about DTV reception
I also didn't like the built-in 6' coaxial cable. That made it inconvenient when wanting to connect it more than six feet away from a DTV converter box or VCR. The only way to achieve this would be to use an additional coaxial cable and a connector.
Still, it did what it was made to do - receive digital signals. It received all of the digital signals that are offered in my area. It was easy to install and it isn't an eyesore.
I recommend the ANT1500 for anyone wanting an inexpensive antenna designed for digital television. Indoor reception is unpredictable so temper your expectations if you already have trouble with analog reception.
Information for Analog TV owners
This is a product that can be used in conjunction with DTV converter box for those owning analog televisions and/or VCRs after February 17, 2009.